Welcome to Mount Barker Primary School
The purpose of Mt Barker Primary School is to provide every student, from Reception to Year 7, with a high quality, rich and challenging curriculum. This means that we focus on providing students with a solid grasp of the essential skills of Literacy and Numeracy.
From this students can then successfully participate in the other areas of the curriculum. It also means that we provide a range of additional programs that add value to the curriculum to make learning even more exciting and challenging.
Our classroom teachers work in teams, i.e. Early Years (Reception to Year 2), Primary Years (Year 3, 4 and 5) and Middle Years (Year 6 & 7) to maximise their expertise and experience when working with groups of students.
Specialist teachers cover French Language, Physical Education and Music across Reception to Year 7.
Other features of our school program include:
- Provision of a safe secure and friendly environment where the school’s values of Respect, Responsibility and Resilience underpin our Behaviour Code and where students are taught social skills based on our values.
- Transition programs that support a smooth and seamless transition from Kindy to school and from Year 7 to Year 8.
- A comprehensive program covering the 9 areas of the curriculum, i.e. English, Mathematics, The Arts, Languages other than English – French, Health & Physical Education, Science, Design &Technology, Geography and History.
- Provision of a specialist music program, where students are encouraged to develop their performance skills and to participate in choir performances both locally and biannually in the State Festival Theatre
- A Science curriculum which incorporates the CSIRO Educational Program to enrich experiences student’s experiences through “hands-on” activities.
- Many opportunities for students to participate and excel in sport at a regional and state level through the South Australian Primary Schools Amateur Sports Association events (SAPSASA).
- In 2009 the school commenced major site improvements and additions. A new hall, library and a refurbished Early Years Teaching Area are now in use.
- An Out Of School Hours Care service that provides quality care before, after and during vacation time for children.
- A large section of the school grounds where native bushland provides an idyllic setting for students to learn about sustainability and the care of local flora and fauna.